The National Executive Council of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said it will meet on Wednesday to determine the union’s next course of action as renewed negotiations with the Federal Government come to a close.
In what appears to be a last-minute attempt to prevent a fresh nationwide university shutdown, the Federal Government’s renegotiation team, led by Alhaji Yayale Ahmed, reconvened discussions with ASUU on Monday.
According to reports from The Punch, the renegotiation session began on Monday and would formally conclude today (Tuesday). Afterwhich, the executive Council would meet on Wednesday to decide on the next line of action.
Remember that ASUU’s one-month ultimatum to the Federal Government expired on Saturday, raising fears of another nationwide strike that could again destabilise academic activities in public universities.
The union has consistently accused the government of displaying a “nonchalant attitude” toward longstanding issues that have plagued the tertiary education sector.
ASUU’s core demands include a review and implementation of the 2009 FG–ASUU agreement, payment of outstanding salaries and earned academic allowances and release of funds for university revitalisation.
Despite growing concerns, the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, has repeatedly insisted that the government has honoured its obligations.
Alausa had earlier stated that the President had given a directive that no strike should occur in any public university, and that they had been discussing with the body.
Alausa is currently out of the country but continues to receive updates on the negotiation progress.
The Nigeria Labour Congress has thrown its weight behind ASUU, warning that it is prepared to join the struggle if the government fails to address the union’s demands.
The NLC said it would “fight alongside the academic community” should the Federal Government allow another breakdown in university education.
Online, Netizens have expressed displeasure with the uncertainty of the negotiations. On Facebook, comments have expressed disappointment with the wake of events. One Reginald Igirigba accused the Federal Government of “only honouring agreement with bandits”.
Students now wait with baited breath for ASUU’s next line of action.