Hong Kong Mourns 128 Victims of Deadliest Fire in Decades

Hong Kong began a three-day official mourning period on Saturday for the 128 people killed in Wednesday’s massive blaze at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po, the city’s worst fire disaster since 1948.

Crowds gathered quietly at a park near the blackened towers, laying white and yellow flowers and leaving handwritten notes. One read: “May your spirits in heaven always keep the joy alive.”

A 69-year-old resident surnamed Wong, who had lived in the estate for over forty years, sat in shock as she listed neighbours who perished, including a grandmother and her 18-month-old grandchild she knew well.

“I was very close with them. Yesterday, it was confirmed they died,” she told AFP.

Across the city, 18 condolence points opened, including a community hall where dozens queued in silence to sign books, many wiping away tears.

City leader John Lee and senior officials observed three minutes of silence at 8:00 am, with national and Hong Kong flags flying at half-mast.

Authorities say 128 bodies have been recovered so far, with around 200 people still listed as missing and 89 corpses yet to be identified. More than 40 survivors remain in hospital, 11 in critical condition.

Forensic teams in white protective suits entered the burnt buildings Saturday morning to continue the grim search.

The fire, which raged for over 40 hours, started on protective netting on lower floors and spread rapidly due to highly flammable foam boards and bamboo scaffolding, officials said.

Fire services chief Andy Yeung confirmed alarm systems in all eight blocks were malfunctioning, and residents reported hearing no warnings — many learned of the danger only when neighbours banged on doors.

Eleven people, including contractors, have been arrested by police and the anti-corruption watchdog as investigations continue into safety lapses and possible negligence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *