A former acting Accountant-General of the Federation, Anamekwe Nwabuoku, has pleaded with the presiding judge, Justice James Omotoso of the Federal High Court in Abuja to grant him more time to refund the public funds allegedly looted by him and his co-defendant Felix Nweke on Wednesday.
Nwabuoku and Nweke, are facing 11 counts of money laundering charge to the tune of N1.6bn. They were prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
The defendants were accused of committing the act while Nwabuoku served as the Director of Finance and Accounts in the Ministry of Defence between 2019 and 2021.
Nwabuoku, the first defendant with Nweke the second defendant in the charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/240/24 dated May 20 and filed on May 27 by EFCC counsel, Ekele Iheanacho.
Nwabuoku was appointed acting Accountant General of the Federation on May 20, 2022, under Former President Muhammadu Buhari after Ahmed Idris was suspended as the Accountant General over alleged N80bn fraud. He was, however, removed in July 2022, few weeks after assuming office.
When the matter was called on Wednesday, the defendants prayed the court to halt their arraignment until another date to conclude the refund.
Nweke’s lawyer, Barrister Emeka Onyeaka, informed the court that there was a new development in the case. He told the court that his client had taken steps towards settling the matter by refunding substantial sums from the total traced to him. He said:
“The second defendant has taken steps, as there is a communication to the commission vis-a-vis the alleged offences on making a refund.
“The commission is in receipt of the money and promised to communicate to us,” he said.
The defence counsel said upon being served with the charge, “We communicated with the commission and we were asked to tarry for their administrative procedure.”
He said since a substantial amount had been refunded, if his client was arraigned, such action would affect the trial.
He, therefore, prayed the court to grant them an adjournment to take further steps on the administrative procedure.
Barrister Maduakolam Igwe, who appeared for Nwabuoku, aligned with Onyeaka’s submission. He said his client had equally taken the same steps and that a substantial amount had been refunded.
“We have written to the commission on this. The first defendant has also made some refunds.
“May I adopt the submission of my learner friend to tidy up the administrative procedure,” he corroborated.
Responding, counsel who appeared for the EFCC, Ogechi Ujam, acknowledged that though the commission was in receipt of a proposal letter, she said, “No negotiation has been made, no settlement has been done and no agreement has been reached by parties.”
She then pleaded with the court to permit the accused to be arraigned. After hearing both parties out, Justice Omotosho adjourned the hearing till October 14 for arraignment.
Refunding embezzled funds is not tantamount to absolving of blame. Should both accused be absolved of arraignment and judgement because they agree to returning the looted moneies? What image is this plea giving to other persons who are also found guilty of embezzlement and looted funds?